Friday, August 3, 2007

Entertainment News Friday: Upcoming and Rumored Movies

The Jane Austen Book Club

I'm rather excited about this one. Of course, it could be that I'm a sucker for anything that has to do with Jane Austen. I predict that I may just have to read the book after the film comes out. The story follows the lives of the members of a Jane Austen book club. They discover that their lives are similar to the Austen books. It's a novel concept. After all, that's what's so wonderful about Jane Austen. We can relate to her novels. Sometimes we just plain get inspiration from them in our own lives. Other times we just need a good laugh or a good chick flick to cheer us up. Looks like this film will have a good cast as well, so it should be good.

Becoming Jane

Speaking of Jane Austen, I can't wait for to see the film "Becoming Jane." I'm not too keen on Anne Hathaway playing Jane, but it should be good.

Snow and the Seven

Disney is in the process of making an updated version of Snow White that takes place in Hong Kong. For more details, go to the link above. If you ask me, this just sounds like a made for the big screen version of Wendy Wu, one of the Disney Channel movies. Not so interesting. The way it looks, though, it'll be a while before anything gets done with this one. No casting has been done and the article makes it look like the script has a long way to go.

The Lost Adventures of Stone Perlmutter Jr.

Not too thrilled about this one. I'm a fan of Jack Black, but I can't stand spoof films. This film is a spoof on Indiana Jones and looks like it will be going along with the style of Napoleon Dynamite, Nacho Libre, and Tenacious D. I wish Black would stick to the more serious roles. He's good at the serious roles. I loved him in "The Holiday." I just plain don't like stupid films that gain popularity because they are stupid. It's stupid. What is happening to the intelligence of America? On top of that, I'm just a little offended because the said hero goes in search of the tomb of Jesus. He'll probably never find it, and if he does he won't find a body.

Jack and the Beanstalk

I actually like the cast for this one. They're all character actors. It does not bother me that they are old and not so popular any more. And what do you expect from a low budget film? At least it will be a family film. I wish there were more clean family films out there. There are probably a lot of chick flicks that would make good family films if all the sexual content were cut.

Star Struck


Simon Cowell is making a film (Star Struck) that follows the top ten on a talent show like American Idol. Should be interesting. Considering Cowell's own humor and style I would assume there will be a lot of crude humor elements to it. Looks like a promo for American Idol that will not be very successful.

Opening Today:


The Bourne Ultimatum - I've only seen the second Bourne film, but I might go see this one since I liked the second one.


Bratz - I'm not sure whether to go see this one. It's obviously a promo for the doll line, but if it's similar to Mean Girls I might go see it. I'll probably wait for this one to come out on video.

El Cantante - Not too keen on this one. I'm not a Jennifer Lopez fan and this just looks like another boring feel good biopic film with a bunch of sexual, dirty, R rated content.

Hot Rod - Another one of those stupid films I hate and will never see.

Underdog - I can't wait to see this one. I'll probably go with my mom since she's a big Underdog fan (she's old and grew up with those kind of cartoons). Honestly, I miss the old, clean cartoons. We need more of them and less of the modern cartoons that are dirty and filled with things that kids should not see. The old cartoons are more fun to watch anyway. My only worry about this film is that it's made by Disney. Disney tends to make their films kind of cheesy.

Becoming Jane - I'm very excited about this one.

The Ten - Another stupid movie, only this one makes fun of the Bible and the Ten Commandments. Very offensive. Not sure what else to say. It's just wrong. Good thing it's only coming out limited release.

No comments: